Faux is a small
village several kilometres from Lanquais whose dolmens are
mentioned in several works on the subject.
It is situated in the canton of Issigeac in the south of the
Dordogne, and is serviced by the Bergerac, Lalinde and
Beaumont roads. It has a surface area of 1607 ha and a
The name ‘Faux’ comes from the word ‘fagues’ meaning ‘Beech’.
According to legend the dolmens mark battle sites.
Prehistoric and Celtic Era
As in most communes of
the area all sorts of prehistoric arms and tools (smooth axe
heads, polishing instruments, knives, scrapers, arrows etc.)
have been dug up in the fields of Faux and can now be seen at
Druid monuments in the shape of dolmens can be found at various
sites in the commune.
The commune of Faux also has an impressive prehistoric cave.
Several villages - La Genèbre, La Barde, La Robertie, La Jasse
etc. are, so it is claimed, of Roman origin. Farming and
excavation works at La Buth have unearthed fragments of edged,
thick tiles of a reddy-brown colour which have all the hallmarks
of Roman fabrication.
Near La Genèbre at the hamlet of ‘Le Placial’ is an old cemetery
dating from the early Merovingian era which harbours a number of
stone coffins whose lids are hewn from the same material.
The Middle Ages
Faux belonged to the seneschalsy of Sarlat whose jurisdiction
extended over a parish including all of the commune of Faux and
part of that of Verdon.
Faux church has St Saturnine as patron saint, and the old, small
church built in 1555 but representative of no one particular
style, was demolished and rebuilt in 1856 - 1860. The spire was
added from 1886 - 1888. The new church and spire were built in
the Byzantine style.
(official population on January 1, 2017)
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).