of Gageac et Rouillac is bordered by Gardonne to the north,
Pomport to the east, Cunèges to the south and Saussignac to the
In 1900 the commune had a surface area of 1399 hectares and a
population of 530 ; the surface area remains unchanged but today
the population stands at
431 (official population on January 1, 2017).
In the early 19th century the two parishes of Gageac and
Rouillac joined to form one commune.
goes back a long way; the root of its name comes from ‘Gau’
which, in Sanskrit, suggests woodland or forest.
In St Louis’ era (1220), Gageac was the seat of an
archpriesthood with 53 parishes.
During the pontificate of John XXII a number of reforms took
place in the Périgord with the original bishopric being divided
into two dioceses, Périgueux and Sarlat, while the
archpriesthood of Gageac was removed to Flaugeac.
Up until this period Gageac had been the seat of an important
Seigneurie but its château had recently been destroyed which
perhaps explains the reason for the transfer.
The village of
Rouillac, which was prosperous up until the Middle Ages, has
Till 1789 Rouillac was the seat of justice; part of the château
or tower of Rouillac - chief town of the Seigneurie - still
exists in the plains at lower Rouillac. Built in the 14th
century, many of its architectural details recall the
neighbouring Chateau des Tours de Lenlège which is a hundred
years older. It was once protected by a wide and deep moat which,
like the castle walls, no longer exists. The towers were knocked
down, the battlements dismantled and the square keep brought
down to the same height as the main body of the chateau. The
only remaining features of note are a high roof dating from
Charles VIII or Louis XII and some wide windows which were
restructured during the same period.
Around the 16th century, Gageac mined iron at ‘Petit et Grand
Marteau’ ( ‘Little and Big Hammer’) and the iron ore was treated
at ‘La Ferrière’ (‘Blacksmith’s’). (Hence the names of the
hamlets: Marteau and Ferrière.) Attractive houses belonging to
master blacksmiths of the period can still be found in the area.
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).