was known in Roman
times as «Villa Gardonna » and coins and medals stamped with
the heads of Emperors Teriens and Galiens have been found
around the church.
In the Middle Ages Gardonne was important as the ‘balliage’ or
bailiwick (administrative centre of royal justice) which, in
1385, extended as far as St Nexans.
Three churches bore the village’s name : St Foy de Gardonne
(1104) destroyed in 1587 during the Wars of Religion, St
Martin de Gardonne attached to Lamonzie and St Jean de
Gardonne the current church which was originally only the
château’s chapel. The château was built in the 11th century
and in 1381 Auger de la Mothe attached his lands to those of
the Bergerac nobility.
Hundred Years War the English took and fortified the château
making it the most impregnable fortress of the county. In 1385,
Pierre de Mornay, Seneschal of Périgord, helped by the people of
Bergerac, took the fortress back from the enemy by orders of the
Governor and his counsels. The château was destroyed in 1386.
In the 15th century Gardonne belonged to the « De Rouffignac »
family who lived in the Rouillac Tower. By the 16th century
Gardonne had passed into the hands of the Larmandie family and
then by 1718 up until the Revolution it was owned by the Marquis
de Lostanges de Sainte Alvère.
Today the village counts
1572 inhabitants (official population on January 1, 2017).
The local council elected in 2014 :
Mayor : M DELTEIL Pascal
1st Deputy : BOUSQUET Jean-Christophe
2nd Deputy : TOURENNE Christine
3rd Deputy : ROSET Jean-Claude
4th Deputy : REY Stéphanie
Local Councillors : BAËZA Christophe, BARA Cécile,
BÉDUBOURG Hélène, BERNARD Michel, DELAGE Vincent, FEYTOUT
Béatrice, GAUTHIER Frédéric, LAFONT Régis, LALIZOU Christine,