Translation from the Latin of the Duke de Caumont La Force’s
« The strongest is crowned.
It is strength which forges the path ahead »
« FORTIO CORANTUR
FIT VIA VI »
History of the Commune
Agricultural surveys carried out in the Dordogne in 1867 into
the geographical site and possible age of La Force questioned
whether one should look to the etymology of the village’s name
and go back to the Latin root ‘Fortia’, therefore Roman Fortia
which suggests the presence of an early castle or fortress, or
whether the village thus called because of its geographical
position raised high above the Dordogne plain ?
In 1604 the Duke of Caumont La Force built a château which was
destroyed in 1793 leaving only the central lodge and banks
around which the old town centre grew up.
Another element altering the shape of the commune was the
construction in 1848 of an asylum by the Rev. Jean-Marc
Antoine BOST, known as
John BOST to the east of the village.
Today the Foundation is an important factor in the local
Situated to the South-west of the department in the Dordogne
valley, the commune of La Force is approximately 12km from
Bergerac and can be reached by three departmental roads, the
D34, D4 and D16.
La Force is the chief town of the canton and is situated in the
« Périgord Pourpre » bordering on the Gironde département.
It covers a surface area of 1560 hectares composed of three
different land types.
• The alluvium plains of the Dordogne and Eyraud represent about
one third of the territory and are farmed with cereals, tobacco
and a variety of crops. There are a few houses on the edge of
• The village of La Force is situated on a plateau at an
altitude of 60 - 80m. The land is of an irregular quality due to
the heterogeneous siderolithic strata and the shallow ground
water. (i.e. : The land is composed of sand, gravel and clay and
watered from various sources.) The area is principally used for
• The northern plateau is closed in and covered in heathland and
woods made up of clumps of leafy trees and conifers. The land is
partially maintained; it is criss-crossed with DFCI fire-control
paths. This is also an area which is lived in, particularly in
the sector called ‘Pas Del Tru’
The commune’s surface area is 1560 hectares and it has a
2708 ((official population on January 1, 2017)).
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).