Print this page Print
HomeTown Hall  > 
Lamothe Montravel Town HallVersion Française
   

The village of Lamothe Montravel, built by the banks of the Dordogne River, is bordered to the west by the Lidoire River which also serves as the dividing point between the Dordogne and Gironde ‘départements’.
Flint tools found in the old river bed show that the Dordogne was inhabited by prehistoric man as early as the Palaeolithic period.

     
   

The Romans followed leaving clear traces behind them such as the mosaics at Montcaret and fragments of pottery scattered over the plains of Lamothe.
By the 8th century the Arabs of Abd-El-Rahman had crossed the fords of the Dordogne River - upstream from Lamothe at Flaujagues, for instance, where a Saracen spur and belt buckle have been found.

     
 

The pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela also used fords to cross the Dordogne, most notably that of Rauzan between Lamothe and Castillon.
In 1307 the archbishop of Bordeaux, Cardinal de Sourdis, bought the fortress which today houses the Town Hall in its medieval tower (all that remains of the castle).
The battle which became known as the « Battle of Castillon » and which brought to an end the Hundred Years War, took place at Colly in the Lamothe Montravel plain between the Dordogne and Lidoire rivers, on the 17th July 1453.
General John Talbot, commander of the English army, was vanquished and killed during the battle. A monument commemorates the occasion.
After the foreign war, civil war. The Wars of Religion, provoked by the Reformation served as an excuse for the Protestants (including the Seigneur de Piles) to terrorise the Catholics. Seigneur de Piles first attacked Saint Foy then Montravel in 1562 where he destroyed the priory and church.

More recently, during the Second World War, Lamothe Montravel was on the demarcation line of the free zone.

Lamothe Montravel, situated in the canton of Vélines between Castillon La Bataille and Montcaret, is reached by the CD936 road.
It has a surface area of 1200 ha and a population of 1337 (official population on January 1, 2017).

     
 

Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).