It is 25 kilometres from Bergerac, 45 kilometres from Périgueux,
and 35 kilometres from Sarlat. The commune is typical of the
country landscape enclosed by the Dordogne and Vézère valleys,
of which it is one of the gateways.
Mauzac and Grand-Castang has an area of 1500 hectares and
(official population on January 1, 2017).
The communes of Mauzac and Saint-Meyme de Rozens and of Grand
Castang were merged by association by an order of the prefect,
effective January 1st 1973.
the name of this parish is first found in 1365 as Grandis
Castanea. Justice is in the hands of the count of Auvergne (exchanger
of Beaumont). The parish patron saint was Saint-Cloud.
Saint Mayme de Rauzan:
in 1382, the former parish church Saint Maximus de Rosano (of
which there are a few remains) was a priory dependent on
Millac: former jurisdiction of a feudal lord had its church
Ecclesia de Milhaco, 1471.
the new church was consecrated on November 23, 1866. The patron
saint is Saint Roch, whose symbol is a dog.
The coat of arms of the Mauzac and Grand Castang commune, shown
above, evokes the three former parishes of which it is composed:
Grand Castang by a chestnut tree with 12 fruits (symbol of
generosity), Rozan by a church, and Mauzac by a small boat on a
river, which provides the design for this coat of arms.
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).