Print this page Print
HomeTown Hall  > 
Monpazier Town HallVersion Française
 
   

Monpazier is located in the south of the Perigord, on the border of the Agen region, between Bergerac and Sarlat. It is about 45 km from each of these cities.
Meaning: : montis paserii “Mountain by which one passes” or from mont paciaru, “Mountain of Peace” or Mons Paxerius, “Protected by the Pious” (1285)

     

Created in 1284 from a donation of land by Lord Pierre de Biron to the King of England Edward I, Monpazier is considered as being the model bastide (walled town) among the 300 bastides in the greater southwest. It has the label “Plus Beaux Villages de France” (“The Loveliest Villages of France”) and label 1 flower within the framework obtained as of "flowered Cities and villages" in 2014. The fortified new city is built as a perfect rectangle around a cornered place where certain houses were modified up until the 18th century. Three doors and a tower, as well as the remains of ramparts, are left from its fortified enclosure.

Eight times one hundred years old, Monpazier bastide has kept its charm and medieval character in spite of the passage of time and the wars it has known. Its square plan with wide streets and alleys has changed only a little up until now.

An important theatre in the Hundred Years War as well as in the Croquants revolt, Monpazier’s authentic character has also attracted several filmmakers who have chosen it as the setting for historical films (Le Capitan, Fanfan la Tulipe, D’Artagnan…). Eugène Le Roy placed several scenes of his novel “Jacquou le Croquant” in Monpazier.

In 1991, public authorities proposed an Operation Great site  (with the towns of Capdrot and Biron), which makes it possible to protect and improve this unique urban architectural heritage.


The town has 534* inhabitants on a surface area of 1km²
Longitude: 0.891944 E
Latitude: 44.682499 N


*
(official population on January 1, 2017)

Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).