Print this page Print
HomeTown Hall  > 
Montaut Town Hall  Version Française

Montaut, a commune of 131* inhabitants (the Montoises and the Montois) on a surface area of 1616 hectares, is located in Dordogne, in the Issigeac district in the Périgord Pourpre.

Montaut is an agricultural territory, where La Banège and the Conne have their sources. The commune consists of several hamlets: Les Bigots, le Gambary, Les Bernoux, Le Madalary, Jurmillac. The altitude varies from 113 m to 171 m (Terme du Furgou).
Its name in Occitan is Mont Aut (Mûtaw), which means the high mount, raised.


The name of this parish appeared for the first time in 1273, as “Monteacon in Baianesio”. In 1298, we find “mons altus”.
The church, reconstructed in 1870, is under the patronage of Saint Vincent, one of whose symbols is a mill wheel, represented on its coat of arms by its iron anille (iron ring that supports the upper millstone), that made it possible to fix the wheel to its axle.

Coat of arms
(created in 2003 by Mr. M. Jean-René Bousquet):
“From gold to a mount with three green mounds, to chief of azure charged with a silver plated anchor-tie”
Motto: 1273 – Monteacon – 2003


* (official population on January 1, 2017)

Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).