Print this page Print
HomeTown Hall  > 
Montazeau Town HallVersion Française
   

The name ‘Montazeau’ originally belonged to a person, Montazeaux. The granddaughter of the famous French philosopher, Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592), lived in Montazeau Château.
The church, which underwent substantial alterations in the last century, has nonetheless retained Romanesque and Gothic parts.

     
 

Montazeau is situated in the canton of Vélines, 12km north-west of St Foy La Grande, 16km south of Montpon, 15km from the motorway, 30km west of Bergerac and 60km from Bordeaux (on the departmental D11 road which links the D936 to the national N89 - the road which joins the valleys of the Dordogne and the Isle.)
Montazeau, 5km from Vélines, is bordered by two rivers which meander through rustic countryside: the Lidoire to the north-east and the Estrop to the south-west.

The commune has a
surface area of 1378 hectares, and counts a population of 312 (official population on January 1, 2017).

 
 

Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).