The port of Tuilières
Mouleydier’s town area includes the village with around 250
houses spread on the hillside, falling away toward the Dordogne;
the important hamlet of Tuilières, where the locks, terminus of
the Dordogne’s lateral canal, and the Southwest dam and electric
plant are located; a few farms in the open country; and to the
north, two large estates, Breuil and Merles, at the edge of the
Dordogne river at Mouleydier
main street descends for three kilometres between two rows of
town houses, crosses Saint Cybard, with its church, stadium,
tennis court, and camping area, as well as the hamlet of
The roads that run at right angles join at the main street: one
road in the direction of Saint Sauveur and Périgueux, that of
the bridge toward Saint Germain with a junction with the street
that leads to the port; another road that starts from the
central square, passes under the viaduct, runs alongside the
market square, the fish farm, and goes off in the direction of
Saint Sauveur, Liorac and la Castelle. An alleyway runs from la
Castelle down toward the square.
At the site of la
Castelle, the primary school is situated on the plateau where
the SNCF tunnel from the viaduct comes out,. From that site the
view extends toward Bergerac to the west. To the south it
extends to the Lanquais plain, Verdon, Saint Agne, Saint
Germain, Cours de Pile, and even the hills beyond. The eye can
follow the Dordogne’s progress, from just below you as far as
the gates of Bergerac.
The dam and the Southwest Electrical Energy’s electric plant are
located at the hamlet of Tuilières, east of Mouleydier. In order
to let migrating fish come back up the river, a fish ladder was
put in. The canal that is parallel to the Dordogne ends here,
with a set of six locks around a crossing basin,. The canal was
put into place in 1844 to let small craft avoid the “high bottom”
This is a very old
crossing point with river fords and the remains of a Roman road.
St-Cybard church has a porch, a choir, and an adobe from the
In the Middle Ages, a fortified castle dominated the valley. It
was besieged and destroyed by Du Guesclin in 1375. Only a square
well bears witness to this stronghold’s incredible epic.
Mouleydier suffered not only from the Hundred Years’ War: it
also was completely burned down on June 21, 1944. Twenty-two
members of the Resistance were shot after the city was
systematically plundered. That is why the town looks new.
After having been a big port for river craft transporting cargo
toward Bordeaux, Mouleydier turned toward the future. It is now
a centre where all kinds of commercial and craft-work activities
are represented. There is also a shaded camping area on the edge
of the Dordogne river, a sizeable area for relaxing with
football (soccer) fields, tennis and pétanque courts, a village
hall, a reception centre, and a private golf course.
At Mouleydier you can relax while hunting, but especially while
fishing, with an area full of fish, which in the springtime, is
the regional shad capital.
There is an appellation contrôlée vineyard, and the market is
held every Thursday morning.
Mouleydier is the birthplace of former minister Albert Claveille,
as well as two other personalities, the writer Serge Vignau
Barranx and the doctor Daude Lagrave. It is a very pleasant
village, where life is good.
(official population on January 1, 2017)
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).