is a thousand-year-old town, which was successively called
Mararengas, Nastringensis in the 13th century, Vacarengas in the
14th century, then Nastringues.
The small Romance church remains from medieval times. It was
built at the end of the 12th century, was defaced many times,
then renovated during the 100 Years War, the Wars of Religion
and the Revolution, a time in which the priest had to exile
himself in Spain for ten years. The latest work, recently done,
entirely renovated it, highlighting its Romance architecture.
You can appreciate the proportions, the nave, the porch, the
bell wall, and the interior fittings: the ancient alter in
sculpted polychrome wood, the 17th century statue of the Virgin
and Child, Joseph Mignolet’s Way of the Cross (1977), stained
glass windows by master glass artist Michel Caron (1587).
The town of
Nastringues, grouped around the church, has lovely old dwellings
and the remains of Montaigne’s brother’s residence.
The patron saint’s festival is the Saint-Jean. It is
commemorated the last Sunday in June by the “Friendship
Festival”, which brings together all the inhabitants and their
friends around a bountiful and joyous country feast, lasting all
day until the traditional Saint John’s fire at nightfall.
Today the village counts
107 inhabitants (official population on January 1, 2017).
Nastringues is essentially a wine-producing commune, which
Nastringues is a member of the
Montravel et Gurson Community of Communes
and of the Greater Bergerac
The town's name in Occitan is Nastrengas.
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).