Print this page Print
HomeTown Hall  > 
Pomport Town HallVersion Française
 


The Gates of Pomport

 

The name ‘Pomport’ - a name which no other village in France has - could have two original meanings, either ‘Pom portens’ meaning ‘that which bears fruit’, or ‘Le Bon Port’ or ‘Bon Passage (the good port or thoroughfare). In the Pyrenees there is ‘Somport’ and ‘Saint Jean Pied de Port’. The passage or thoroughfare theory would correspond with the Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage route. Pilgrims stopped at St Jacques de Bergerac, Saint Jacques de Sigoulès then at La Reole, Bazas, Mont de Marsan, Roncevaux and Pamplona. Many pilgrims travelled through the Dordogne, particularly once Bergerac fortress had been built by the beginning of the 12th century.

     
 


The Gates of Pomport

 

The commune of Pomport is pleasantly situated on the hillsides of southern Bergerac (at an altitude of 155m) and out of a surface area of 1954 ha, 1200 ha are currently planted with vines which produce white Monbazillac wine and red Bergerac wine. This perhaps supports the ‘Pom portens’, bearer of fruit, theory. The vineyards of Pomport were first planted by the monks of St Martin of Bergerac and the monks of Labadie, Colombier as early as 1100. The local bourgeoisie later increased the size of the plantations and the wine trade was able to develop thanks to the river.

     

The parish, (Sanctus Petrus de Pomport) dedicated to St Pierre-ès-liens, is extremely old and is mentioned in St Cybard Abbey’s chartulary in 1142.
In the middle ages the military headquarters of the Bergerac Seigneury were based at Pomport. Montcuq fortress, in the commune of Pomport, played a prominent role during the Hundred Years War whose first battle in the Périgord is commemorated by a stele erected by Colonel Brunet.
Effectively, the Count of Derby left Montcuq to take Bergerac on the 24th August 1345.

Pomport is situated 12km south-west of Bergerac in the canton of Sigoulès in the first hills of the southern Bergerac area on the D17 road. Pomport sits atop a chalky-clay hill and from its 155m dominates the Dordogne plain below and, to the south, the Gardonette valley.
The commune has a surface area of 1954 hectares and counts a population of 819 (
(official population on January 1, 2017)).

The town is twinned with Brehan in Brittany.




Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).