of Prigonrieux can be found on the right bank of the Dordogne
River, downstream from Bergerac. The fertile soil of the wide
Dordogne valley has made of it a wealthy, expanding commune;
in 1953 it had a population of 1382 while today’s population
4243 (official population on January 1, 2017).
The name ‘Prigonrieux’ appears for the first time in a 12th
century chartulary of St Mary de Sainte as Prionru. Later, in
1382, we come across
represents the water of the Dordogne River, and also the name of
the commune, which signifies “deep stream”. Evoking the gabarre
(flat-bottom boat or barge) on the Dordogne River conveys the
strong tourist appeal that Prigonrieux has, via its river
The green reflects Prigonrieux’ protected environment, and more
generally, that of the Dordogne Valley. Prigonrieux is also a
town in the country, which enjoys nature’s favour.
The Dordogne Valley is evoked on the logo by a “v” transcribed
with two white branches. At the bottom of the valley runs the
stream. The curve of these branches symbolizes the fertility of
the commune’s soil.
The brown evokes the wooded hillsides of Peymilou and symbolizes
the quality of Bergerac area’s wines.
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).