Sigoulèsis a commune in
the canton of Sigoulès, situated 10km from Bergerac on the CD
933 country road.
It has a surface area of 652 hectares and a population of
348 (official population on January 1, 2017).
The name of Rouffignac comes from the old French ‘Rouffi’ or
‘Roffi’ meaning a cave, grotto or rock.
Old houses. A number of local people related stories
concerning themselves and their families dating right back to
the Hundred Years War.
• 1722 Marriage of Jean de Guyon of St Victor and Jeanne Rousy
• 1727 Marriage of Jean-Baptiste Tardy of Montagnac and
Suzanne Beysselance of Flaugeac.
• 1727 Blessing of Rouffignac presbytery built by François de
Sénézergues, priest of Rouffignac.
• 1737 Christening of Elizabeth, daughter of Pierre Emery and
Mlle Marie Guyon of St Victor.
• 1789 During the Revolution, marriage of Joseph Lescouf,
clerk of Del Four (village) with Mlle Jeanne Beffre, known as
Villebois, of Chadière.
• 1771 The church bells of Rouffignac, Pomport, Cunèges and
Monestier were made by Pierre and Jean-Baptiste Soyer and
their cousin, Goussel, of Toul in Lorraine. The two Rouffignac
bells cost 50 ecus and 24 livres.
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).