history of the commune :
The date of the village’s foundation is unknown but it would
appear that it existed during Roman times.
All that’s left is the name Sadillac with its ‘ac’ suffix from
the Latin ‘acum’.
In 1876 the commune had a population of 236 composed mainly of
farmers but also several coopers and weavers.
In the church to the left of the apse is the tomb of Master
Jean Vassanges, sub-deacon
of Sarlat Cathedral, prior and Seigneur of Sadillac who died
at the priory, aged 17, on 25 July 1744 and was buried in the
church on the same day.
graveyard would appear to be extremely old. Behind the village,
below the path known as the ‘Ronde’, quite a number of graves
have been uncovered; this would have been the Protestant
The priory, which it is believed was affiliated to Cadouin
Monastery, dates from the 15th century but was altered and
largely rebuilt in the 16th and 18th centuries. In 1792 it was
sold off as national property and its new owner turned it from a
three to two-storied building, lowering the south-facing tower
by about 6m and exchanging the spire for a dovecote.
mention of town walls dates from the beginning of the 15th
century and probably refers to walls built during the Hundred
Years War in the second half of the 14th century.
It is claimed that Charles IV passed through Sadillac and Henry
IV stayed there.
Until the 18th century Sadillac had the statute of township.
Sadillac, situated 17km from Bergerac and 13km from Eymet, is a
rural commune with a surface area of 563 ha and a population of
113 (official population on January 1, 2017).
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).