The Saussignac church mentioned in the 11th century disappeared
to be replaced in the 19th century by a Neo-Gothic edifice. As
well as the château built in the 17th century in the village on
the site of a former house, several others were built around
Saussignac including the Château de Lenvège in the 13th century.
In 1053 we know that the village was already called Saussignac
by the name of its church - Santus Martinus de Saussignac.
Variations throughout the ages include ‘Salsinac’ in 1117 and
Salsinhac in 1286.
Saussignac represents the name of a Gallo-Roman with ‘acum’
added too it, which is probably a derivative of ‘big’ and
The commune of Saussignac falls into the ‘arrondissement’ of
Bergerac and the ‘canton’ of Sigoulès (administrative
districts). It can be found just slightly off the Bordeaux -
It has a surface area of 897ha
(including 450ha of vines and 55ha
of plum trees) and counts
a population of
(official population on January 1, 2017).