situated in the southern Bergerac area, in the canton of
Eymet, belongs to the
« Val et Coteaux d’Eymet
(‘the hills and valleys of Eymet’)Community
of Communes » and is
reached by the D933 road.
It has a surface area of 1114 hectares and today counts a
148 (official population on January 1, 2017).
St Capraise d’Eymet is bordered by two streams, the Revelliou,
a small tributary of the Dropt which separates the commune
from that of Sadillac, and the Courberieux which provides the
dividing line between St Capraise and Mandacou. St Capraise is
an agreeable, rural
commune whose history
goes back a long way -
as the Gallo-Roman remains excavated at Fontclose and Surtout
go to show.
eponymously-named church at St Capraise’s centre dominates the
village both in respect to
the size of its large nave and to its geographical situation
on the summit of a mound.
The chancel is Romanesque and composed of a pre-chancel and
apse; the nave has three bays doubtless dating from the 15th
century and is, itself, preceded by a 19th century
porch-belfry. On the eastern side, a low
19th century, three-foiled vestry
encircles the chevet.
The 15th century Château de Libersac (private property) restored in the
last century has, from its terrace, a magnificent view of the
surrounding countryside which on a clear day even includes the
Pyrenees mountain range.
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).