January 1st 2017,
became a commune delegated within the new commune of Val de
Louyre and Caudeau.
The town of
Saint-Laurent-des-Bâtons is located in the canton of Sainte
Alvère. It's surface area is 1946 hectares and it has
(official population on January 1, 2017).
The Caudeau river runs through this town of agricultural
landscapes and old buildings with character.
There was an Augustinian priory in Guillegorse, which was
attached to the abbey of Châtres and Lissouleix, a hamlet
mentioned in 1199, a small dependence of Cadouin. West of
Saint-Laurent, next to the Gothic church of Saint-Maurice, a
fortified castle was built in the 15th century, protected by
The name of the
village is known by its church in the 13th century, written
Sanctus Laurentius. According to legend, Saint Laurent refused
to give up the church's treasures during the persecutions in the
middle of the 13th century. He was burned to death. Guilhgorsa
was then added to Sanctus Laurentius. This word is composed of
the name of a Germanic person, Ghislarius, followed by a word of
Gallic origin indicating a terrain, which gave the Occitan gòrsa
“ground not very productive”.
Finally, the 18th century produced
Saint-Laurent-of-Baston in 1730.
For lack of an
old attestation - the word does not exist in the Gourgues
dictionary - the assumption cannot be suggested. It is known
only that Baston was not the name of anyone in the south.
According to a tradition, pilgrims who came to meditate at
Saint-Michel-de-Villadeix left a stick there for the
Saint-Laurent church. Saint Maurice was joined with
Saint-Laurent and appeared in the name of the commune in the19th
century. The name appears in 1310, written Sanstus Mauricius.
Maurice, archbishop of Lyon, would have been massacred with
other Christians, at the end of the 3rd century or the beginning
of 4th century.
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).