Print this page Print
HomeTown Hall  > 
  Saint Marcel du Périgord Town HallVersion Française
     
 


Church

 

Saint Marcel du Périgord belongs to the Lalinde canton – Bergerac arrondissement. The town is located in the valley of the Louyre, the Sérouze and the Barbeyrol. It is 22 km northeast of Bergerac and 10 km north of Lalinde, at 120 m altitude. It is in a fertile region where mixed farming and animal raising prevail.
It is on the departmental road RD 32 Ste Alvère – Bergerac.
There are 150 * inhabitants on a surface area of 1146 hectares.
 

     
 

Saint Marcel took the name of a roman martyr, pope from 308 to 309. In the Middle ages, it was the seat of an archpriest, which included 41 parishes, created by Raymond d’Aspremont, the first bishop of Sarlat.
The church, of Romanesque foundation, has a Gothic portal surmounted by two blind niches, a single nave and a chorus of arched rib vaults ending in a flat chevet.

     
 


Coat of Arms

 

The Coat of Arms

Le patron saint Marcel, with mitre and crook, holds a fork in his right hand, in front of a horse, all in silver.
Three ganders evoke one of the lords of Clérans: president d' Augeard.
 

     
  * (official population on January 1, 2017)

Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).