The commune is
made up of forests and vineyards and is situated between the
Isle and Dordogne rivers at the westernmost point of the
département, half-way between Bergerac and Libourne.
On a 24.58 km², the village counts
inhabitants (official population on January 1, 2017).
Once upon a time the land was crossed by the Talbot Path which,
following an old Roman road, went from Castillon (in the
Gironde) to Montpon (in the Dordogne) passing the châteaux of
Gurson and Puy-Chalus.
The village of La Boueyne (otherwise known as La Borne) which
had place names such as ‘Poste
de Garde’ (‘Look Out
Post’) and ‘Barrières’ (‘Barrier’), provided the western
entrance to the county of Périgord.
earliest name -
Sanctus Martinus de Heremus
- is first noted in the 13th
The name was frenchified into Saint Martin de Lerm which came
from the Latin ‘eremus’ meaning desert and hermitage.
Hélie VI Talleyrand,
Count of Périgord and the
Seigneur of Gurson
in 1244 suggests that Saint Martin was one of five parishes in
the castellany of Gurson, whose name, over time, it adopted.
Traces of ancient civilisations show that the area has long
been inhabited by man.
Near the village is the Guinot Spring where, legend has it,
druids picked mistletoe on the first day of the year (new
The hamlet of Taules owes its name to a Roman tile (tegulae)
It would seem that, once, long ago there was a nunnery at
Priorat where stone tombs have been found.
coat of arms are those of Gaston de Grailly-Foix, Seigneur of
Gurson in the 15th century and are composed as follows : the
escutcheon is quartered by Foix and Béarn and a label of five
sable pendants are each charged with five argent scallops
The coat of arms can be seen in Windsor Castle chapel in
England in the 25th stall, as Gaston de Grailly-Fox was a
knight of the Order of the Garter who served under Henry VI of