The hilly, country commune of St Rémy Sur Lidoire is situated
in the Landais region, 8km from Montpon Menestérol, between
the Dordogne and Isle valleys and has a surface area of 2226
The village was originally called Sanctus Remigius and
metamorphosed into Sen Remedy then Sainte Remede before
becoming St Rémy (the patron saint of the village church).
St Rémy used to be dependent on the castellany of Montpon and
these days forms part of the canton of Villefranche de Lonchat,
in the heart of the ‘Périgord Pourpre’.
A 12th century church which housed the tombstone of Roger de
Buade, a noble of the village, used to stand in the middle of
the old cemetery but in 1840 it was demolished to be replaced
by the present church which has a beautiful 18th century alter
The A89 motorway slip road has given St Rémy access to the
outside world and the commune is currently looking to the
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).