Transcription of a 1776 manuscript:
“St Romain, 250 inhabitants, 748 hectares, 163 ares, 218
centiares, 5 k from Monpazier ; 41 k from Bergerac ; and 2 k
Soil: Upper Cretaceous, ferruginous chalky limestone.
This commune is situated on a slope washed by the Beyonne stream,
bad soil; red rocks, iron mine; healthy air.
The church is annexed to Lolme. The patron saint is Saint Romain
of Blaye, November 26 (R.P. Carles) and perhaps Saint Romain
martyr, August 9 (St Romanus) (Franc. 1556) ; Saint Rome (XVIème)
The church is
small. It consists of a nave and a panelled chapel. There is
only what is strictly necessary for worship.
The cemetery is adequate, the presbytery is in working order –
Curé MALAURIE (August 1776). A village called Le Monge, which
reminds one of a monastery or a monk.”
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).