In 1517, the
town was called Sanctus Salvator de la Mongia because it
depended on the lordship of Clérans.
In 1737, it had the name of Saint Sauveur de Clérans. It kept
this name until the Revolution.
Since 1849, the town has the name Saint Sauveur de Bergerac.
The town of Saint Sauveur de Bergerac spreads out on the first
heights dominating the right bank of the Dordogne River, north
The town is 7
km east of Bergerac, and is surrounded by five towns:
Mouleydier, Lembras, Lamonzie-Montastruc, Creysse and
Liorac-sur-Louyre. To the north, the small river Le Caudeau
forms a natural boundary with the towns of Lamonzie-Montastruc
and Lembras. The departmental road D32 crosses the town east-west.
The D21 crosses it north-south.
The town is a member of the Bergerac II district. With five
neighbouring towns, it makes up the
Community of the Bergerac urban area
flowered village is nestled in a 930-hectare forest setting,
where animal raising, Pécharmant vineyards, pony club and hiking
trails all rub shoulders.
The commune’s highest point is 141 meters, where the two water
towers are located.
Heritage has its place with the philosopher-mathematician Maine
de Biran (1766-1824) who lived in his small manor house,
Grateloup. His tomb is located beside the sacristy.
The public school, which has been grouped inter-municipally (RPI)
with the Lamonzie-Montastruc school since 1992, accommodates
primary school students from CE1 to CE2. Since 1998, children
flourish in a roomy structure, open to Europe, equipped with a
canteen for children where traditional cooking is prepared
Children aged 5 to 12 can benefit from Leisure Reception’s “Les
Filous” and, since September 2008, the smallest children are
accommodated in the new inter-communal day nursery with a high-quality
environmental label, established in the town.
No fewer than 12 associations animate village life, in the
centre of which a hotel-restaurant and a bakery await you.
The town’s inhabitants (called Salvadoriens) number
(official population on January 1, 2017).
The town has one flower in the “Flowered Cities and Villages”
Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).