Print this page Print
HomeTown Hall  > 
Saint Seurin de Prats Town HallVersion Française
   

On the right bank of the Dordogne River, SAINT-SEURIN-DE-PRATS was always an obligatory crossing point because of the bridge that connects the Velines area to the Entre-Deux-Mers region.

The remains of the old quays and tow path indicate the Dordogne’s navigable and commercial past. Barges drawn by horses or cattle went up the river carrying barrels of an already-famous wine.
 

     
 

Three castles attest to a particularly rich architectural past:
- The Château of PITRAY, from the 18th century, fiefdom of the Ségur family;

- the Château of MONTVERT, from the time of Louis XIV, which has a remarkable pigeon-house on columns;

- the Château of PRATS, from the 18th century, the most successful, set in a large, pretty park along the edge of the river, with a monumental neo-Greek perron, has stables that are even older, with MANSART roofs.

     
 

Away from the town, the parish church with a bell-tower wall was built in 1860.

Between CASTILLON and SAINTE FOY LA GRANDE,
this traditionally agricultural commune of 483 * inhabitants and 556 hectares, with fertile alluvial deposits, has thriving corn fields, plant nurseries, fruit trees, and of course, grape vines with “Bergerac” and “Montravel” AOC wine.
ST SEURIN, grouping the hamlets of PRATS, the GRANGES, the PORT OF PESSAC and the AUVERGNATS, is oriented towards tourism with the "The Beach". (“La Plage”) campsite-restaurant.
Multiple activities are available: fishing, canoeing, kayaking, hunting.
Active associations animate local life throughout the year.


*
(official population on January 1, 2017)

Text translated by Pays du Grand Bergeracois (professional translator).